How can I get a judge to keep a petit larceny charge off my record?

Are there any kinds of programs I can do to keep this off my record like community service or an “adjournment in contemplation of dismissal”? I’m from Virginia. I’m 19 and in college making decent grades. This is my first offense.

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Criminal Law, Virginia


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Not certain if this larceny charge is currently a pending case or a criminal conviction you are seeking to have removed from your record. If it is a pending case, then you will want to either win the case at trial or be sentenced under some form of a delayed or deferred sentence to prevent this from going on your record. The problem is that the State of Virginia has very strict laws concerning what types of criminal convictions can be expunged from your criminal record, so you will want to avoid simply entering a plea of guily without a guarantee that your case will be dismissed following any orders of probation from the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.