How can I get a divorce for free if I don’t have the money for a lawyer?


Asked on January 8, 2013 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can file for yourself. Virtually every state has on-line forms and information for doing so. Just google your state governemnt and look for divorce assistance. Additionally, you can contact Legal Aid for help (either they can represent you or refer you to someone who can). You can also contact a law school legal clininc (if there is one near you); they typically handle such cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.