how can I get a copy of my fathers will

Older sister won’t let anyone see it

Asked on May 10, 2016 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have the right to see your father's Will; the executor (I assume your sister) cannot legally keep it from you. If it has been entered into probate, then it is a matter of public record so you or anyone else has a right to see it. If it has not been entered into probate, then as a child of the deceased, you are an "interested party". This means that you have a legal right to see it. Since your sister is unwilling to give you a copy of your father's Will, you can contact the probate court and/or consult directly with a probate attorney in the area. They will be in the best position to help you enforce your rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.