HJow canI get a copy of my father’s Will if I bare his last name but am not his blood daughter?

My original birth certificate had my mother’s maiden name “no father”. My mother later married and he claimed me on a new birth certificate after they were wed. My dad passed 2 years ago. My mother states she is the sole beneficiary. Nevertheless, as of late she has been pressuring my sister to sign some legal document stating that she (my sister) wouldn’t contest my in any way shape or form my mother’s estate decisions, the Will etc. My sister refused her. Now she’s asked me to. Since technically, I’m not his “blood relative”, how can I obtain a copy of the Will? Mom won’t show it.

Asked on December 7, 2011 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


Sharon Siegel / Siegel & Siegel, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In NY, you should have gotten a copy of the will with the waiver that you are being asked to sign.  If you did not, how can you waive if you have not seen the will?  In any event, if you don't sign the waiver, in NY, she will serve you with a citation and that will come with the will.  You can also go to the courthouse and copy it if your mother has opened a probate file. Sharon M. Siegel, Esq. www.siegelandsiegel.com  212-721-5300

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.