How can I get a copy of my divorce paper when I don’t know the case # or 100% sure of he did or did not file at the Sacramento Court?

I just learned from my brother-in-law that my husband had filed a divorce in 2008 without me knowing it. I have no problem with that since we are separated since 1992. All I want to know is how can I obtain a copy of that divorce paper. My brother-in-law don’t know where he at or the number where I can reach him. All he told me was that he kind of remember my ex-husband told him that he filed it at the Sacramento Court. He is not 100% sure. I don’t want to drive 6 hrs. there for nothing if it’s not really filed at the Sac. Court & plus I don’t know the case #. Can you help me out?

Asked on June 25, 2009 under Family Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  If you know the town your brother in law lives in you can go to the family court in that area and have the clerk run a check for the case by using his last name.  the clerk can then find out the docket number and pull the file for you.  You can then copy the relevant pages from the file as it is a public record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.