How can I get a child support order modified if I am unable to afford an attorney?

The case is not handled by the state so DCFS will not help. It was set by hearing officer conference. Is there a form that I can fill out and bring to the family court?

Asked on November 6, 2012 under Family Law, Louisiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Usually family courts have short forms or how-to's on such motions available to you; even legal aid would be able to help you.  You would need to file to amend the existing order and usually a court is more lenient on a pro-se petitioner than one with an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.