How can I gain custody of a child that is not biologically mine although I am a relative?

Would I need consent from both parents even if I thought it was in the best interest of the child?

Asked on January 7, 2013 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The only way that you can achieve custody of a minor child that is not yours is via a custody stipulation by the child's parents subject to a court order giving such custody to you. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney as to how to proceed if such is your and the parents' intent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.