How can I force my ex-wife to meet the financial agreements of the divorce

Ex-wife agreed to make the loan and insurance payments on the vehicle of her choice of the 2 vehicles we had at the time of divorce. The loan, insurance and title are in my name. She is constantly late with loan payments and totally stopped paying the insurance premiums.

Asked on January 16, 2018 under Family Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can pursue contempt of court against your ex.
You will need to file with the court an Order to Show Cause to schedule a hearing on the contempt of court claim.  Call the court clerk to schedule the hearing and enter the date/time/department of the hearing on your Order to Show Cause.
With the Order to Show Cause, also file with the court a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your contempt of court claim.  If there are any additional documents or supporting items, file those with the court as supporting evidence of your contempt of court claim.  You will also need to file a proof of service (court form).
After filing your documents with the court, mail a copy to your ex so that she has notice of the hearing.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing your court-filed documents to your ex.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if there are any additional documents that are required to file a contempt of court claim because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.