How can I find out who posted a harrassing ad on-line?

Somebody posted an ad on a site with my picture and phone number under the “casual encounters” section. I received many disturbing texts from men wanting sex. I need to know who posted the ad. the site will only release the information after a subpoena or other legal document is sent to them. If it is indeed the person who I think it is, I will be pressing charges, but I can’t file a case until I know who it was. What legal document would work? Can I file a motion for discovery?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The best way for you to try and get the information you want online is to hire an expert in computer posting and see what information that person can initially uncover for you and see what shows.

Another option is to file a complaint against doe defendants only and then serve the subpoena upon the online site seeking the information you want. I suggest that you consult with a personal injury lawyer about your situation further. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.