How can I find out who my new landlord is?

Our landlord was supposed to send us a lease renewal 2 months ago and we have only been able to get a hold of him twice since then. The last 2 rent checks have not been cashed. He answered the phone last night and said we should have received a 30 day vacate notice which we did not receive. He also stated he is going through a divorce and he is no longer our landlord his soon to be ex-wife is. We are unsure what to do about our rent payments and who to contact in this situation.

Asked on March 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would go down to the county recorder's office and see who the owner of record is with respect to the rental that you occupy. When received, I would then write the owners a letter stating your intent to pay the rent but you need written directions as to whom since the last two rent checks have not been cashed. Keep a copy of the letter for future need and reference.

I would also write the landlord's wife as well about the rent payment situation. You might need to go down to the local court house and pull the divorce proceeding file concerning your landlord to get some insight on the transaction and who gets the rental payment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.