how can I find out if my ex husband is collecting a pension?

in my divorce decree it states that my ex husband was to keep me informed of any pensions, as I get half. I have heard nothing from him but I believe he is collecting a pension, and if so, I am entitled to half.

Asked on July 15, 2019 under Family Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

1) Are entitled to half? It depends on what your decree says. You are entitled to whatever your divorce decree gives you--no more but also no less.
2) How do you find out about a pension? You'd have to bring a legal action against him for violating the decree; in the course of that legal action, there are legal mechanisms (e.g. "disovery"; subpoenas; court orders) to get this information from him, his employer, or the company managing/adminstrating his pension. But you have to bring the legal action *first* to be able to use these mechanisms, which means you are in the position of bringing a legal action before knowing if you have any grounds to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.