How can I find out if my father had a Will and if he left me anything?

He wife is not being cooperative with giving me any information.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I am assuming by the way that you have phrased the question here that his wife is not your Mother.  If your Father's assets were held jointly with his wife then they passed to her automatically at the time of his death.  If there are assets that were his alone - part of his gross estate - then they would pass to you either by Will if he left one, or under the intestacy laws in your state.  Collecting would require that you file a proceeding in probate court to have someone appointed as the personal representative of the estate.  you could force her hand and file naming yourself.  That could cause a ruckus but it may be the only way to actually get her to move.  The other way that you father could have left you assets is if he designated you as the beneficiary under say a life insurance policy or an account as a "POD" payable on death.  But again you would need that info that his wife probably has.  I would speak with an attorney here.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.