How can I find out if I’m divorced and get the papers?

My husband/ex left in 2008. I
had lil contact with him
afterwards. He said he filed
for divorce and would send me
the papers in 2009/10 I’m in
Missouri, where we got
married. He’s from Alabama
where I suppose is where he
filed if he did. I don’t know
how to get ahold of him. I
really just want to know if we
are divorced. Thank you

Asked on April 18, 2017 under Family Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The records may or may not be available online.
You will need to know in which court in the state the dissolution of marriage was filed.  It would be advisable to have an attorney service in the state where the dissolution of marriage was filed, (your ex-husband's state) search the court records and obtain copies of the documents.  Attorney services can be found online.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.