How can I find out if charges were made against a family member in regards to statutory rape?

Asked on November 26, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you know which court had jurisdiction where a case may have been filed, you can go to the court and look for the person's name under defendants in the court's computer.  This will give you the case number and you can ask the court clerk to see the case file after giving the court clerk the case number.  You can't remove the file from the court, but can ask the court clerk to photocopy the entire file or portions of the file if you want.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.