How canI find out about a house under probate that’s been abandoned for over 3 years?

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Estate Planning, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to ascertain the status of a home subject to a probate proceeding that appears to be abandoned, you should do the following:

1. go down to the local courthouse and pull the probate file concerning the estate that the subject home is an asset of. From the review of the file, you should see the status of the probate as well as all contact information for any attorney and representative of the estate;

2. go to the county tax assessor's office and county recorder's office to pull the current records as to the property. You should be able to ascertain who the current owner is and if property taxes are current or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.