How can I find out about a Will in a different country?

I got a call from an attorney in London saying someone left me as their beneficiary.

Asked on June 3, 2012 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I think that the easiest thing to do is to contact the attorney back and ask for a copy of the Will to be sent to you.  Generally speaking, as a beneficiary you should be entitled to receive a copy of the Will being offered for probate and it is not unusual to ask for a copy if that is the case.  Here probate proceeding are filed in the county in which the decedent resided at the time of their death.  I bet in London they are similarly filed.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.