How can I fight garnishment without filing bankruptcy?

If the garnishment happens I will not be able to pay my rent, get gas or get food for my 2 children, I am pregnant and my husband is unemployed. I don’t know how to fight it. I wasn’t given enough notice to file some type of answer. The letter was dated almost 2 months ago but I just got the letter in the mail 3 days ago. The lawyers for the credit card won’t work with me and they are doubling the amount I originally owed claiming interest and fees. I also make too much to be considered poverty level to get free legal aid, yet nowhere near enough to be able to hire a lawyer!

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You should contact your local consumer protection agency and file a complaint against the creditor with the state attorney general.  If the matter is regarding a credit card, file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau and still file a court answer claiming failure to properly serve. Ask the court to dismiss/throw out the matter because service was ineffective, improper. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.