How can I evict my husband from my home if his name in on the rental agreement?

Asked on January 10, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Actually you can't, regardless of whose name is on the lease. At this point, your home is still considered to be the marital residence. You can only "evict" your husband if and until you execute a formal separation agreement, a court issues a final divorce decree, or there is in effect another court order that directs that you have the exclusive use and possession of the rental premises.

Note: If he has put you in imminent fear for your safety, then you can have him immediately removed by the police. Otherwise, you can ask or an order or protection which will prohibit his entry onto the premises.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.