How can I evict husband from the home that I own?

Do I have to file for a divorce first? His name is not on the mortgage

Asked on July 3, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If title to the home that you are writing about is solely in your name but the mortgage is not paid off, you will have a hard time evicting him from the unit because conceivably he has a marital interest in the home due to his presumed income is being sued to service the home's debt load.

As such, you will need to file a petition for a marital dissolution and request that he leave your home. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney further about your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.