How can I evict a family member from my house?

Asked on January 16, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The same way that you would evict any tenant under the laws in your state.  If they are paying rent and have missed a rent payments then often a 3 day notice is served prior to starting a summary proceeding for eviction.  If they do not pay rent are a guest turned squatter, a 30 day notice is often used.  Your state has property laws that differ from those in other states so I caution you to seek help from an landlord tenant attorney to be sure that you are doing things properly.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.