How can I convert a quit claim deed into a warranty deed?

I recently purchased a foreclosure plot of land in Michigan through a real estate merchant.Upon attempting to put this property for rent I have discovered that the property management team will not acknowledge the quit claim deed that accompanied this plot. Is there a way to convert a quit claim into a warranty deed if I am the grantee on the quit claim. Am I still accountable for tax while the property is empty?

Asked on March 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First, so long as you own the property you purchased, you are obligated to pay its property taxes.

One way to get a warranty deed to the property you acquired via a foreclosure where you got a quit claim deed for it is to simply deed the property to yourself or a trust that you created as a grant (warranty) deed. I suggest that before you do so you consult with a real estate attorney and purchase a title insurance policy for the parcel as a start.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.