How can I continue my divorce and child custody case if I’m the repondent and the petitioner won’t do it?

He is an inmate who filed for divorce from prison. I responded to it but he won’t set up an appointment for a hearing. Rhe case is going nowhere and I want to continue it. How do I do that?

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Family Law, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can file an order to show cause yourself to let the judge decide the issues for you and grant a status change. You need to get an attorney to help you go through the steps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.