How can I collect on a money judgment?

I obtained a judgment on a breach of contract. I obtained an judgment, after the debtor defaulted. How can I collect on the judgment?

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the losing party in a civil case refuses to pay, there are legal mechanisms that can be employed to collect on a judgement. Such things that can be used are: garnishing wages. placing a lien on assets so that when the asset is sold some of the proceeds go to the lienholder (like a house) or attaching certain assets (like money in a bank account).

If you had a lawyer represent you in obtaining the judgement, they should be able to help you. If not, contact the court and ask it where you can check for information about how to enforce judgements.

Note: There is something called an "asset search" that companies perform for people in your situation. However, you'll have to pay for such a search, so depending on the amount of your judgement, it may or may not be worth your while.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.