How can I collect my back pay?

I was suspended from my job with a non-profit organization effective January 20, 2016. I hold a salaried position and was cleared and reinstated on April 15, 2016. I had been locked out of my office on January 11 and remained locked out or my computer removed or password changed to prevent me from doing my work. My employer is located in 15370.

Asked on May 11, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, West Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you were suspended, you are not owed back pay, with the exceptions below: the law does not require employers to make up back pay lost during a period of suspension. The exceptions, when you may be able to get back pay:
1) You had a written employment contract which covers discipline and under which you either should not have been suspended or should have received pay during it.
2) You were suspended due to illegal discrimination, the main types of which are against race, religion, national origin, age over 40, sex, or disability.
3) You were suspended for using a legal right, like FMLA leave, or because you pointed out some legal or safety violation.
If the above cases apply, you may have a claim for compensation and should speak with an attorney in detail about your case. But otherwise, an employer does not need to pay wages/salary lost during a suspension.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.