How can I change maiden name to my spouses name afterI kept my maiden name on our marriage certificate?

Got maried in Ukraine; now want to change name legaly to my spouses.

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to go to the town in which you live and go to the Department of Motor Vehicles to change your drivers license. Before you do that, go to the Social Security Administration and have your name changed to your married name. Then the driver's license and then your passport. Then move on to calling all of your credit card companies and the like to get your name changed and make sure they send you new cards. Once all is done, verify after 60 days that the changes have been made properly and review your credit reports to ensure the new name is now listed on your credit reports.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.