How can I cancel a contract with a car dealership?

Asked on November 10, 2012 under General Practice, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Absent a fraud or some type of material misrepresentation, you can't cancel such a contract. That having been siad, most states have laws that allow consumers 3 days in which to rescind an otherwise binding contract. However, typically, this right or recission does not cover auto sales. To check on the law in your state, you should contact the Department of Consumer Protection or the Attorney General's office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.