How can I bring my grandmother from Cuba to visit the US?

How much does it cost, what is the process and how long does it take?

Asked on October 8, 2015 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You really cannot bring your grandma to the US she would have to apply for a tourist visa in her own right and she would need to show/prove that she has no immigrant intent but simply wants to visit the US for a brief period of time and that she will return to Cuba.  The burden is on her to provide sufficient documentation of her ties to Cuba that would ensure her return.  The granting of the visa is completely discretionary with the consular officer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.