How can I best defend myself against an intent to distribute marijuana case?

Today I was caught at school smoking weed with 2 other students. 1 of the students bought $10 worth of weed and Isupplied weed to smoke from a separate bag. Halfway through, 1 student left. After the weed was smoked, and the bag was empty, a cop showed up. I threw my weed in a stagnant creek nearby, which the officer found along with a lighter, and the empty bag. The bag I threw had 3 $10 bags of weed in it. He also found a hollowed out book in my backpack. I told him and my principal that I supplied the marijuana, but the weed in the water was not mine. He said I would receive a ticket. Should I speak with a criminal defense attorney? In Boulder, CO.

Asked on September 10, 2010 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The short answer to your question is yes, you absoutely should speak with a criminal defense attorney.  Although you state that you only received a "ticket", this is still technically an arrest, and a conviction could end affecting you for many years.  As it stands now, you have already incriminated yourself by giving the statement to the principal that you supplied the marijuana.  If you had not said that chances are you either would have only been charged with possession (not intent to distribute), and/or the case against you would have been much weaker.  By retaining a criminal defense attorney you will prevent yourself from incriminating yourself any further and you will give yourself the best opportunity to resolve this matter as favorably as possible without any consequences to your permanent record.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.