How can I become executor of my father’s estate if I have uncooperative half-siblings?

Asked on November 8, 2014 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation.  Executors are named in a Will so if you are indeed named then all you have to do is file a Petition to be named.  If they object (they have to be served with notice) then that is fir them to do, not you.  If there is no Will then you can file to be appointed as the Personal Reprensentative of the estate (generally called an Administration).  Your half siblings may also have the right to be appointed (if they are also his children) so if they object they can, again after notice, and the court will decide.  But starting the filing is the key.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.