How canI be reimbursed for a cancelled flightthat I was not notifiedthat resulted in my having tobuy yet another return ticket from another airline?

I booked a flight which was was OKgetting their but was told at check in for the return flight that coming the flight back did not exist any more. I had to buy my own ticket home so that I could be back to work on time. After talking to travel agency and airline, they are blaming each other for the problem. I am out of original flight money, plus I had to buy a flight through another airline for $2255. What are my options?

Asked on July 30, 2010 under General Practice, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

IF you had already paid for the flight back, then you should have a good cause of action to at least get part of the money back--ordinarily, businesses cannot keep your money and not provide you a service. However, you need to check the terms and conditions on the ticket and associated paperwork to see exactly what rights you had in the event of a flight cancellation. If you do have some recourse, you may be able to proceed against the airline on a contract theory (e.g. they did not honor the agreement with you) or possibly against the travel agent on a negligence theory (e.g. they were careless) or potentially both. You might also be able to pursue this, if need be, in small claims court (though the terms when you bought the ticket may obligate you to some form of arbitration; always check the ticket and other documents to see what rights you have and agreed to.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.