Why would I have to be the only driver to yield?

I was driving a go-kart on a private road and collided with a 16 year old girl driving a car with 3 passengers. I am being considered at fault and being charged$4500. The insurance company failed to get my side of the story and are saying that I failed to yield coming from a driveway into traffic. How am I the only one who failed to yield when we were on private roads, did she not have to yield as well? I tried contacting the insurance company numerous times with no reply. Now they are trying to suspend a license when i didn’t have to have a license to drive the go-kart

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Accident Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Given the circumstances that you are writing about, I suggest that you contact your own insurance carrier (assuming you have one) and report the accident to it.

As to liability issues, that will have to be ultimately determined by a trial or any traffic citation issued as to you that you may contest or not contest.

You should consider consulting with an attorney about the circumstances that you write about who practices general civil law. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.