How can I avoid posting a legal notice

a victim of domestic violence and stalking is trying to change her name, there is a requirement for her to post a legal notice in the paper negating the reason for changing her name.

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Family Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, if a person wishes to change his nor her name, there are statutory requirements that must be complied with for the court to entertain granting the petition. First there is the need to file a petition in court seeking the request. Typically the petitioner must publish the application in a court ordered newspaper for four (4) consecutive weeks. Once done, the court has a hearing to see if anyone contests the petition and then makes an order.

Unfortunately you cannot avoid the publication requirements in the newspaper. That is a set requirement under most state's laws.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.