How can I avoid jailtime for child support?

I have been disabled for 10 years but still fighting for disability. I’m not able to work. I’m also on government housing and assistance. So what can I tell the judge so she dosen’t lock me up?

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

All the details here as to when you stopped paying etc., matter.  What you need to do is to go to court to ask for a modification of the order based upon a change of circumstances.   If it has gotten to the point of a court proceeding already go and speak with legal aid asap. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.