How can I add my lesbian partner to my mortgage withough refinancing?

My partner and I are living together in my home in Colorado. We would like to add her name to the mortgage/title, and refinancing seems to be an expensive route to accomplish this. Is there another way?

Asked on April 30, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no way to add her to the mortgage without with refinancing: the mortgage is a contract between you and the bank/lender, and the contract cannot be changed, including by adding another person to it, without the consent of all parties, including the bank/lender. Banks never allow changes like this without refinancing--they want to do their due diligence again, and make sure the change is good for them, and they want their refinancing fee. If the mortgage is low, if you and she could pay it off, at which point, without a mortgage, you could give her an interest in the home free and clear, without worrying about what a lender will allow.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.