How as a buyer can we legally back out of a sales contract?

Asked on January 18, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to review the P&S agreement; if there is money you gave in good faith to hold the property then that money could be considered as holding an option on the contract and you may lose the money. If you are entitled to all monies back per the P&S, then you simply back out by putting your indiication in writing and demaning the money back. If this is an issue with respect to fraud or lack of full disclosure, that would your basis to get out of the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.