House seizure timeframe

When the feds seize all real estate property, what is
the time frame before the property has to be
vacated? Specifics 80 yr old mom lives in condo in
Florida which is owned by son. Son in Midwest has
had all property seized by feds. Investigation going
on. Grand jury meeting in 4 weeks. Son will likely be
indicted. Will the mom in Florida be forced from her
home? If so when? At indictment? Or at the time trial
is over? I have an 80 year old neighbor scared to

Asked on March 11, 2018 under Criminal Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If the Feds have gone through the civil forfeiture proceeding (which is necessary to seize the real estate), then the current occupant has until--and unfortunately, only until--they bring a legal action to remove her. Once the property has been legally taken by the Feds, any occupants have no more legal right to remain; while she would have to be removed in a court proceeding, that proceeding can be instituted at any time. There is is no way to predict how long that will  be, since it depends on when the Feds decide to take action, she is subject to removal when the Feds choose to act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.