What to do about a house that I bought with my boyfriend now that we have split up?

I bought a house with my ex-boyfriend about 2 years ago. Both of our names are on the papers for the house and the mortgage. I paid the downpayment on the house and additional funds while living there. I moved out after we split. He still pays the mortgage and lives there but my name is still on both. He wants me to sign a quitclaim deed to remove my name from the house but my name will still be on the mortgage. I refuse to do this while my name is still on the mortgage. Is it possible to get my downpayment back as I do not live there and remove my name from mortgage? What options do I have?

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you former boyfriend wants you to sign a quitclaim to him of your interests in the property where you receive no money for the quitclaim, you need to consult with a real estate attorney about the situation you are writing about.

From what you are writing, it seems that if you sign the quitclaim of the property that you have an ownership interest in you get nothing for your interest. You need to astertain what the property is worth and once ascertained, if you want to sell out your interest to your former boyfriend, he can make you an offer in writing. If you do sell your interest in the property, you should consult with a real estate attorney further and have a formal escrow established for the sale.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.