hit and run accident in a appartment complex. one car with insurance and the other without.

would the car without car insurance be responsible for any damages to the car with insurance even though the accident happend on privite proprety(appartment parkinglot)?

Asked on June 5, 2009 under Accident Law, Georgia


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Where the accident occurred is irrelevant to who was at fault.  The at-fault driver is responsible for the damages caused to the other driver's vehicle and any injuries, whether the accident was on public or private property.  If the at-fault driver has insurance, his or her insurance would pay for the other driver's damages.  If the at-fault driver has no insurance, the other driver should make a claim for damages under his or her own policy.  If he or she is injured, a claim can also be made on his or her own policy for uninsured motorist benefits (if the at-fault driver is uninsured) which will cover medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.