hit and run accident and I know who did it, what to do

I was in a hit and run accident. I have the tag number. he works for the state of
miss. but he was in his car after work. No insurance. what to do???

Asked on March 15, 2017 under Accident Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue him for any actual out-of-pocket (that is, not paid by health, etc. insurance) medical costs you incurred; any lost wages (if you could not work for some time due to injuries); property damage (if you had a vehicle or other property damaged by this--you'd sue for the lesser of the repair cost or the then-curren fair market value of the property); and, if you suffered some significant disability or life impairment lasting months or longer, some amount for "pain and suffering"--though note that to sue for this, you would have to hire a doctor to testify in court, which could cost several hundred or even several thousand dollars.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.