Hit and run accident

I was involved in hit-and-run accident, and I managed to get his license plate number. When I filed a police report, I found his address, and filed a lawsuit. I won the case, and judge awarded me $600. Since, the defendant was unemployed, we agreed that he would pay me in installment plan $50 a month. What is the grace period to receive his payment, and what should I do, if he will fail to do that? Thank you.

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Accident Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, it is unclear if were you represented by an attorney or brought this action yourself.  The award should be reduced to a judgement and "entered" (filed) with the court in the County where the lawsuit was brought and where the defendant lives.  If you came to an agreement was it in writing and "so ordered" - or signed - by the Judge in Court the day of the award?  You need to look and see if the order has a date for the payments to start and continue (like starting 30 days after the court date and then the 1st day/15th day of the month thereafter etc), and if the order has anything in it that says that you can act on the award by the judge if the defendant fails to pay (could say something like "upon default judgement will be executed").  The agreement would speak to the rights and obligations of the individual parties.  Without more information it is difficult to answer your question in a definate way.        

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.