If I was in a same sex relationship and we have a house but it is not in both of our names, do I have rights to request money upon separation?

Asked on November 22, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, based on what you write, you do not have the right to request money upon separation. You are not in a relationship that is legally recognized by your state (only marriage is legally recognized, not unmarried romantic relationships). Simply being in a relationship with another person, if unmarried, in your state gives you no rights to money, assets, or support from them when you separate; and if the house is not in your name as well, you are not legally an owner of it and have no right to the home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.