What legal recourse do I have if I recently invested a large sum of money in a small LLC but the business owner has failed to pay the timely payments?

I have a contract with the business owner for repayment but he has failed to pay the timely payments. What legal recourse do I have at the federal level to recoup my investment and to report this fraudster?

Asked on October 22, 2014 under Business Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You probably do not have recourse at the "federal" level unless you and he live in different states and you are suing him for more than $75k, which is the minimum for federal "diversity" jurisdiction. However, whether you can sue in federal court or have to sue in state court, if the business owner violated an agreement to repay you, you may sue him for breach of contract to recover the money he should have paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.