If I’m sponsoring my parents for green card and have take care of them for 3 years, after that time will they be able to apply for government aid?

If I can claim them as dependents on my tax with the 3 years?

Asked on February 17, 2013 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

They will be able to apply for government aid when they are US citizens.  Until then, you are responsible for them by virtue of having filed the affidavit of support for any means tested public assistance.  They may still qualify for some medical assistance that is not means tested.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.