If I’m trying to change my status from F1-OPT to H4 and had an unpaid OPT, would I need to show recent payslips and a W2?

Or what documents do I need to show in place of that?

Asked on October 22, 2014 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Are you saying that all of your OPT has been unpaid or just a few unpaid periods?  You have to prove that you have been maintaining status in OPT and that is usually done through paycheck stubs.  If you have absolutely none and are eligible for H-4 through your spouse, you would probably have to do it as consular processing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.