What can I do if my vehicle was recently stolen and I was asked to submit an affidavit of theft stating that my car was never for sale, however it was and I forgot?

One of the questions was, “Has your vehicle ever been for sale?”, to which I answered no. However a few months back I had listed my vehicle on a which is a website. My intentions for doing so were because I had seen a similar car to mine listed for an astronomical price which I would never refuse. After a week or so of people low balling, I removed the ad. Unforthnately my insurance company has come into contact with my old ad somehow and seems to be treating me suspiciously. Have I burned myself in this situation?

Asked on February 2, 2016 under Insurance Law, Montana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You may have burned yourself badly: you lied on an affidavit (which is a sworn document), for which you could be punished; you damaged your credibility by lying; and the thing you lied about is, in particular, a thing which casts doubt on your story that the car was stolen, since it is evident that you were willing to sell the car but didn't get what you wanted for it--which makes hiring or conspiring with someone to have it stolen to get the insurance quite plausible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.