If my son was in a minor car accident and missed a few games and days of school, what do you think he should be able to get for pain and suffering?

Asked on November 16, 2015 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Compensation for pain and suffering will be determined by the medical reports which document the nature and extent of your son's injury.  If he has residual complaints of pain or other problems due to the accident, that will increase his compensation for pain and suffering over someone who has fully recovered without any residual complaints.  Missing a few days of school and a few games unfortunately won't amount to much compensation.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount based on the medical reports documenting the nature and extent of the injury.
I would ask for quadruple the medical bills compensate for pain and suffering, but NOT expecting to get that.  This would be for negotiating purposes.  The at-fault party's insurance carrier will respond with a much lower offer and you can continue negotiating to seek additional compensation.  If the case is settled with the at-fault party's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit on behalf of your son for negligence against the at-fault party.  You will need to be appointed guardian ad litem to file a lawsuit on behalf of your son if he is a minor.
If the case is NOT settled with the at-fault party's insurance carrier, your son's lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or your son will lose his rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.