If my 19 year old son is here on an H4 visa and is currently studying in college and my I-140 was approved 4 years ago under an EB2, what should I do so that he can continue his studies?

I think he will be aged out. Someone told me that he needed to convert the H4 to an F1. If so, when we should start processing? Is his H4 valid for another 18 months. My EB2 is under the India category.

Asked on July 17, 2015 under Immigration Law, Oregon


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

How long is it before your priority date becomes current?  If it is more than 2 years (after he turns 21) then he may be better off getting his F-1 status but there is no hurry to do that now since he is only 19.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.