If I’m putting together a concert, what legal issues am I looking at if someone got hurt?

I’m signing a contract with the venue. This is my first time doing this so please let me know what I’m looking at here.

Asked on August 23, 2013 under Personal Injury, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If someone is injured at an event you put on, then you could be liable, or financially responsible, for their injuries, including medical costs, if they were hurt due to any negligence (or carelessness) on the part of yourself, your employees, or anyone contracted with you (e.g bands). You can reduce your exposure by having anyone working with or contracting with you (like the bands) agree (in writing) to indemnify you (re-pay you) for any injuries or damage they cause; by making sure they have their own insurance; and by having people working with you or  contracting with you sign releases that they will not sue you for their own injuries or losses. You should also speak with an insurance broker about having adequate insurance. And you should probably create and do this through an LLC, or limited liability company, rather than in your own name, since having an LLC will help insulate your personal assets from any judgment or liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.