What can I do if I was terminated from my job for carrying a gun that I feel I need for my safety?

I am a supporter of gun rights and have a current weapons carry license. Yesterday, I was fired from my job due to the fact that I would not disarm myself while at work. The company that let me go does not have a policy on guns nor do they have any signs up barring guns from the place of business. I am a forklift mechanic and work inside and outside of Atlanta. I often work alone behind buildings repairing forklifts. Is there any other cases of this? How should i proceed next.

Asked on September 12, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an employment contract or union agreement that allows you to carry a gun while at work? If not, then as an "at will" employee, your employer can set the terms and conditions of your employment much as it sees fit. Consequently, you can be fired for not disarming yourself, or for any reason or for no reason at all, with or without notice. This is true even if you beleive that carrying a gun is ncessary for your protection.
Note The exception to the at will doctrine is if you feel you have suffered employment discrimination or retaliation, neither of which seems to be the case here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.