If my green card will expire in 9 months and I need to renew it online, do I have to be present to collect it?

I am outside of the US. After filing on line, will they mail it to me?

Asked on March 24, 2014 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You have to be in the US in order to apply for it, as you will have to go in for fingerprinting after you submit your application.  You can leave after that is done but you have to be physically present in the US at the time of filing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.